Friday, May 22, 2009

Los Angeles


This is where I'm going this summer.

I am excited about going to LA (or is it L.A.? or is it Los Angeles?) for many reasons. First of all, I will be interning in the entertainment industry. As of now, I have not solidified any internships yet, but have been assured I will get one once I get out there.

Second, I will only have my bike for transportation. From what I have heard, I am the only person in the UTLA program not bringing a car. I can only assume that should I survive navigating the sprawling desert city on my bike, I will return to Austin with leg muscles of steel, golden bronzed skin, and sun-bleached blonde hair. I am also assuming my hair will somehow become straight.

In order to prepare for my trip, I have been collecting a few songs about the city. Below each song is a quote, an inspirational message about the wonder and beauty of the city of Los Angeles.

First, a brief introduction by Death Cab for Cutie.

"Why'd you want to live here?" - Death Cab for Cutie
I'm in Los Angeles today
Asked a gas station employee
If he ever had trouble breathing
And he said, "it varies from season to season"

I'm sure The Decemberists will have a more optimistic outlook about LA.

"Los Angeles, I'm Yours" - The Decemberists
How I abhor this place
It's sweet and bitter taste
Has left me wretched, retching on all fours
Los Angeles, I'm yours


I don't see how this could get any worse...

"Los Angeles is Burning" - Bad Religion
A clock that reads
The end of days
Shotgun roundabouts are bending in the haze
More a question than a curse
How could hell be any worse?

It's too late for me to turn back now.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, Thom! You will conquer LA, and become bronze and glamorous.

    ReplyDelete